Create custom email notifications to get notified when new entries are submitted. Personalize these emails by editing the subject, writing the message, and including options like entry details, payment information, uploaded files, and document copies of entries.
When you create a new form, email notifications will be enabled by default in the Submission Settings section (located at the bottom of your form builder). Click the notification to open up a dialog where you can specify a To address and other details, such as the message and included attachments. When you’re finished filling out the appropriate fields, click the Save button. To add additional notifications, click on the title of the Notification Emails section to expand it, and then select the New Email link at the bottom.
You also have the option to resend Notification Emails when necessary. To resend a Notification Email, go to the Entries page and click on an entry to expand its details. Then, find the Share option at the top of the page, and select it to open the Share Entry dialog. Here, you can edit and resend a Notification email at any time.
This is the email address that your email notification will be from. The From address will be defaulted to “Cognito Forms” and cannot be replied-to by the email recipient.
To set the From address to the user who is filling out your form, select an Email field from your form. If no other option exists in the dropdown, you will need to add an Email field to your form. When a user enters their email address, the form will capture it to be used as the From and reply-to address for your email notifications.
Enter the email addresses you would like to receive the email notifications. Enter multiple addresses by separating them with a semicolon (‘;’). > You cannot enter more than 150 characters as the To Address.
Create the subject line for your form’s email. Use the Insert Field option to pull data from a form entry into the subject line, such as Name or Date.
Enter a custom message that will appear in the notification emails that are sent. Insert images, links, or use the Insert Field option to pull data from your form’s entries (as well as include entry view/edit links).
Send When Submitted
By default, email notifications will always be sent when your user submits the form. However, you may want to send the email based on certain conditions such as a selected value of a field on the form.
- Always – Email is always sent.
- When – Email is sent only when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the notification should be sent.
- Never – Email is never sent. Use this option to temporarily suspend the sending of emails without having to delete your notification.
Send When Updated
By default, email notifications will not be sent when an entry is updated. However, you may want to send the email every time an entry administrator edits and saves an existing entry. You may also want to send the email based on certain conditions such as a selected value of a field on the form.
- Always – Email is always sent.
- When – Email is sent only when specific conditions become true. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the notification should be sent.
- Never – Email is never sent. This is the default option.
- Org & Form name – Check this box to include the name of your organization and your form’s title in the email.
- Form logo – Check this box to include your form’s logo in the email. You can upload a logo to your form using the Style Editor.
- Entry details – Check this box to include the form entry data (excluding internal fields) in the notification email. We do not recommend this option if your form is capturing sensitive data.
- Blank fields – When you check the box Include entry details?, you are presented with the option to include blank fields. This will include any entry fields that were left blank in the notification email.
- Receipt – Include the transaction details in your notifications email (for collecting payment only). This will include the last four digits of the card number, order details, and other payment-specific information.
- Uploaded files – Check this box to include uploaded files as attachments to the email notification. Attachments will maintain their original file name and are limited to a total aggregated size of 17MB per email. This feature requires at least a Pro subscription. Learn more about our plans and pricing.
- Documents – Check this box to attach a Pdf or Word copy of the submitted entry to the not ification email. You can customize the format of this document from the Manage Documents menu.
Include Sharing Link?
With entry link sharing enabled on your form, you can share links that allow users to view or edit their entries after they’ve already been submitted.
- Edit link – Check this box to include a link that allows users to edit and resubmit their previously submitted entries.
- View link – Check this box to include a link that allows users to review their entries, but without the ability to make changes.