A Table field is a grid used to group a set of fields that repeats as needed, allowing the user to add multiple rows of identical information. Table fields and repeating sections are nearly one and the same; however, table fields allow for a more streamlined input of up to eight columns per row. They also offer more advanced summary options for each individual column.
The label will display as the title of the field or the question that is being asked on the form. You can select the icon on the right to hide the label on the form.
The Item Label is the title of each table followed a number to indicate how many rows the user has added.
Help text can be used to assist the user by providing additional instructions. Help text will display directly under the field.
Number of Items
Set the minimum and maximum number of items that your users can add to the table. Use static numbers such as 1 and 5, or set calculated limits based on other fields. The minimum limit is the default number of items that appear when a form initially loads. When a minimum of zero items are set, the fields in the section will not appear until the user decides to them.
Visit our blog to see examples of how you can use min and max limits.
Show This Field
By default, fields will always display on the form. However, you may want to hide specific fields or sections based on certain conditions such as a selected value of another field on the form.
- Always – Field is always shown.
- When – Field will only display when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the field or section should be displayed.
- Internally – Field will not display on the public form and will only display when a Cognito Forms user is editing the form from the Entries page.
Never – Field will never display.
You can set a custom error message that will display under your field when specified conditions become true. The conditional logic builder will allow you to add any number of rules for validating your field. Learn more about the custom error option.
The Column Summary appears at the bottom of the selected column:
- Count – Display the total number of rows in the column.
- Custom – Display a calculated value.
- None – Summary will not display.
The Number, Currency, and Price fields contain additional summary options:
- Sum – Calculate the total sum of each row in the column.
- Avg – Calculate the average of each row in the column.
- Min – Determine the lowest number in the column.
- Max – Determine the highest number in the column.
The Summary Label appears as text in the summary section. This label can be filled in or left blank.
Learn more about what you can do with Table fields, including: